Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bring on the Sun!

This weekend we got a little taste of Spring with some sunny weather and (slightly) warmer temperatures.  In the previous week, Gavin, Graeme, and I had been talking about planting seeds and planning the garden.  So, we bought seeds together and I wrote out a plan on Friday.  There is always so much potential when planning - a little glimpse of excitement of what is to come in the next few months.  Veggies, flowers, farmer's markets.  I can't wait!

It was great to be outside in the garden again.  The vegetable beds got turned and weeded - moss had taken over, so it got ousted too.  Some seeds got planted and put indoors.  There were a bunch of seeds left over from last year, so I'm curious to see if they sprout.  I also had Gavin help me plant more seeds.  (Though I love the boys to help, I find I need to do some things myself... so they turn out how I want.)  Gavin got some mini pots of his own.  He filled the pots, labeled the sticks, and poked the seeds in to the soil.  He's getting better at listening and 'helping' step by step... improvement from last year when he just dumped all the seeds into one spot.

The other venture, which I tackled myself, was opening up the compost bin to see what was inside.  Would it be compost? Or mush?  Or who knows what??  My first attempts at composting were relatively successful.  What I found was very compacted, but usable compost.  I had turned it so much during the year (we started them last March) that the stuff at the bottom didn't have much circulation for air.  Couple that with being to wet at first, and it made for a great upper body exercise to dig it out of the bin.

I still need to dig out more.  As much as I did, there was enough to cover over the base of the raspberries and put two wheelbarrow loads worth into one vegetable bed.  Hopefully, I'll get enough for the other beds as well.

Mild success, and lessons learned as I go forward this year in trying to find the right balance for turning and layering everything for compost.

No comments:

Post a Comment