Sunday, July 10, 2011

Progress in the Garden


After finally getting some sunshine here, my garden is getting a little out of hand!  Happily growing everyday, the plants need tying up or pruning all the time.  I do a little work, and then the next day it seems like I need to do it all over again!  (Kind of like housework, but more fun!)

The tomatoes, above, are the biggest plants I've got as they were store bought.  All have tomatoes on them already, though the short Roma on the end I was a little worried about.  It seems to have a few after this weekend.


This is the rest of the garden.  You can't really tell what's what, but everything is just getting bigger and bigger.  We'll see if I'm able to contain it or at least minimize the craziness!  Most of the tomato plants have at least a few little tomatoes starting, and lots of buds to follow.  And we finally have cucumber plants beginning to take shape.  The nasty slugs kept eating the sprouts, so I crushed up some egg shells and sprinkled them around the cucumber sprouts.  Seems to have worked so far, as they still look chomp-free.

We've given lettuce and peas to friends because there is no way we can eat it all.  We've enjoyed raspberries freshly picked - the boys' favorite - and strawberries.  We've got a few blueberries that just need to turn blue, and I've been able to cut flowers and bring them inside too.  It makes me smile to see everything grow and develop day by day.  And I love watching the boys pick peas or carrots or anything really!  They're so proud of themselves, in kind of a mischievous way.  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment