Thursday, March 29, 2012

Looking Forward

Even though it is raining, I'm still thinking about Spring.

The boys and I have been in the garden working in the compost and planting some early crops. (Saying "crops" makes me feel like a farmer.)  We all were very pleased with this year's compost. Though still not perfect, it looked WAY better than last year and the boys loved playing with all the worms. Gross, I know.  (They did wash their hands after.)

With any luck, the seeds we planted last week - carrots, lettuce, spinach, radishes, and beets - will enjoy this wacky rain/sun weather we have and produce yummy salad fixings. Craig laughed at me when I thought I should water before we left for the weekend; I just consider myself ever hopeful that our weather will warm up.

Thanks to our neighbor who loaned us her greenhouse, we have quite the grow-op indoors as well.  We have four types of cucumbers, six kinds of tomatoes, assorted flowers, basil, and a few peppers growing. They are all tiny, but hopefully they will survive their laundry room life to transplant in April or May. I am very excited for the garden, some sunshine, and the enthusiasm of my well meaning helpers.

We ventured to Flower World in Maltby yesterday to buy some plants for the front yard as well.  Once everything is planted, I'll post pictures so you can see what one of my paychecks buys.  Hee, hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment