Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Next Chapter: Big Kid

I fully realize writing this post might jinx the progress we've made on the subject of potty training, but I'm prepared for any relapses.  So I thought I'd share.  Without too much detail. 

As of this weekend, Graeme is officially a Big Kid and out of diapers!  Sweet!  After speaking with another mom about a 3-day intensive potty training method, I decided to try it on our little guy.  A few dry mornings and the fact that he hide somewhere every time No. 2 came along gave me the clue that he might be ready to try the next step in socially acceptable behavior. 

Enter Diego mini-potty and three days with no pants.  For Graeme.

I gave Gavin the option to participate in "Naked Day", but he opted out with a furrowed brow of disapproval at the thought.  (Not that Gavin doesn't like running around naked like all other kids; he's just developed a habit of getting dressed first thing in the morning.  Choosing only from 4 favorite shirts and 3 pairs of pants.  All other clothing is unacceptable.)

Back to no pants. To put your mind at ease - particularly if you come over to our house often - I rolled up the carpets and didn't let Graeme sit on the couches while pantless.  Remarkably, we had only a few accidents!  (None of them were very messy either which was great... not to say that couldn't still happen. But...)  I stayed with him the whole three days and the accidents, of course, happened when I wasn't right with him. He got a jelly bean every time he went without fussing.  Within the week, he is noticing when he has to go, and doing it all himself.  We've ventured out more and more and things are getting to be normal.  He's been dry at night as well, as long as he doesn't go to bed really early.  He is very proud of himself too, which is the cutest part.

Now the project is weaning him off jelly beans!  

No comments:

Post a Comment