Sunday, September 12, 2010

Biking Maniacs

As most of you know, the recent development in our house is that Gavin took his first runs on his pedal bike without training wheels this week. It's pretty amazing, and quite terrifying. I think I need to get some new running shoes. Here the link to the short video:


Here's a link the the long video:


Graeme is right behind him too. On the bike track in our backyard, there is a small drop off in the corner of the yard that goes from the ladder bridge down a hill. Yesterday, Graeme attempted that drop off. At first, I think he saw the other kids doing it and thought, 'Hey, I want to do that!' So, at first he asked for "a slow down" where I hold onto the back of his shirt so he doesn't go too fast. By the end of the day, he was apparently flying over it no problem on his own. Equally terrifying (but very cool)! We've talked with our friends about how some kids have a healthy sense of fear and reservation toward more daunting feats. Graeme doesn't seem to have much of that.

I took both boys to the local BMX/skate park a few times so far. It is a great place since there is the biking, but also a little playground as well. (And the boys don't stray too far.) Gavin is usually fine when he rides on his scoot bike - with the occasional wipe out. Graeme, however, will push his little bike up the ramps and then proceed to fly down whatever crosses his path. So, I need to trail him and redirect a bit when he attempts to sail down the bigger ramps. Luckily at this point, I can keep up and he is small enough that I can pick him up, bike and all, and turn him around. On the last visit, however, I realized...

It's time to get a proper first aid kid for my car. Or maybe past time, but I really should get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment