Wednesday, January 19, 2011

An acknowledgement

I'm beginning to think - well, scratch that - I know now that I bribe my kids just a little too often.  And it is usually sweet in nature.  But really, how else do you get little boys to do what you want?  (Suggestions?)

My reasoning for treats is that they are great little eaters (and I like them too... my kids and the treats).  They like vegetables, grains, salmon, etc.  So a little sugar isn't a big deal, right?  It certainly wasn't when I was a kid.  Lucky Charms were the best, and though my mom didn't buy them often, I remember eating cereals like that and really whatever else I wanted.  I turned out OK.  (Um, aside from that raging sweet tooth.)  

In any case, I guess I wanted to acknowledge that bribery is maybe not the best tactic.  When Gavin asks his skating teacher if she likes donuts, it doesn't create the healthiest view of our family or my mothering skills.  Or when Graeme sits in the back seat of the car - hands outstretched - saying:

Graeme: "My handing my hands out for more mango, Mummy!"

Me: "No Graeme, we ate it all up!  The mango is all gone!"

Graeme: "How 'bout Gummy Bears?"

(For the record, mango is healthy.  And their gummy bears are vitamins.)

Now I have to go find some chocolate... could be worse vices, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment