Sunday, March 28, 2010

Animal behavior

I've noticed that when I drive by myself, I end up watching my surroundings more than when I'm with the boys. I can take in the scenery, wonder what other drivers are thinking, look at landscaping, and pay a little more attention to the other cars. (Though I have to say that's not really what comes first.) What is funniest to me, though, is I've realized that I give the animals that I see human qualities or make up stories about what they are doing. Examples?

Yesterday a little black water bird (sorry, don't know the name) perched atop a street light as I was crossing the 520 bridge on the way to yoga. He looked both ways and then spread his wings to warm himself in the glorious sunlight. What I saw was a bird trying to flash the drivers as they passed by.

Then I noticed, as I merged onto the freeway, a poodle sticking his head out the back window of the car in front of me. I could almost hear him say, "Yup, you're clear! Go ahead and merge!"

I've always noticed that pigeons perched on a telephone wire or billboard most always have perfectly spaced perches, as if pigeons have the same silent cultural norms as people do. "Hey, don't invade my personal space buddy!"

These are the things that amuse me as I drive along by myself. Strange, but fun. Let's see what shows up on the drive to yoga today! I gotta go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment