Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Call Me Clever

For the last week, I've had three tomato plants that need potting.  My plan was to go buy three fetching pots that would brighten my yard while creating a cozy home for my plants.  (These are plants I purchased rather than starting myself.)  But, pots are pricey.  And, really, I don't need anymore pots for my kiddos to run into with their bikes.

My solution?  Walking around my house today thinking: "What could I use for pots for these guys?"  In my laundry room, the solution jumped out at me from the corner.  Burlap sacks!  Yeah, that would work!  When I bought these sacks on Craiglist last year, I had grand art projects plans.  Alas, that never materialized, but even so, they have come in handy here and there.  First, I used a swatch to wrap a Christmas ornament at an ornament party - the first ornament chosen, mind you.  Then, I used some for the coconuts on Gavin and Graeme's Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree.  Now, they will serve my garden.  Hopefully well.

They look cute anyway!  And, as I was planting the tomatoes, I ran out of soil.  "Time to run and get more soil," I thought.  Then, "Oh, hey, let's check out the rest of the compost!  Maybe that would do the trick!"

Bingo!  I dug out the left over compost from the bin I'd used before and everything looked pretty good.  It was still probably a little wet for what it should be, but it was dark and full of fat, pink worms!  (And it didn't smell like crap, which was a good sign.)  So, that's in my tomatoes, and spread around the rest of my garden.

Round Two: better.

We'll see how the vegetables turn out!

(Harvest note: we've had a few tiny, but yummy radishes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment