Thursday, May 5, 2011

Morning Mischief

Since the boys were playing well with each other this morning, I took the chance to go out in the cool mist and hunt for slugs.  It was great fun actually, but the boys weren't buying it, so they stayed inside.  Since I've bravely (or naively) transplanted some warm weather plants and flowers - just a few to see if they could survive, I had to remove the covers that they sleep in over night.  It was, after all, almost freezing here a few nights ago.

Total jackpot!  I think the slugs like the shelter too, because they were snuggled in tight.  And, there was apparently a slug baby boom, because I captured tons of tiny ones.  Of course, since I'm a wonderful mum, I put them in a plastic container and let the boys check them out.  And then went back outside to hunt for more.   It's more than slightly addicting.

I'm hoping that work now will pay off later in fewer chomps on my lettuce.  Which looks like this now:


It is trying so hard to grow.  Still pretty and fun to encourage.  There are a couple little carrot sprouts in there too.  Anyway, I think I lost track of time a bit while slug hunting.  I could hear the boys, but it had become quieter than normal after a while.  Soon I here Graeme's voice from somewhere other than downstairs.  I look up at he's at the kitchen sliding door yelling at me: "Picnic!  Picnic!"

Worth some investigation.

For the record, they both had had a light breakfast, so could have legitimately been hungry.  I set down my cache and went upstairs to find this:


Quite clever actually.  They'd found the picnic blanket and pretzels from the downstairs storage room.  And then foraged the rest in the kitchen.  I let them have their picnic with a little portion control.  It made for a very fun morning.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Love it! Love it! My kind of picnic. I'm with the boys on the slug hunting, though. Snails I can pick and pitch. Slugs...well, aren't they kinda slimy?

    ReplyDelete