Thursday, May 26, 2011

Never mind Slugs...

Since I've been somewhat neurotic about the slugs in our garden, they have done little damage thus far to my tiny plants.  They got some, but so did the weather. Survival of the fittest, right?

Today, however, I noticed that one of my fledgling broccoli plants that had been growing quite well, was drooping quite a bit.  Culprit?  Ants!  I noticed that they'd eaten some radishes too, but whatever, radishes grow quick and (truth be told) they're not my favorite.  Broccoli, on the other hand, I only have a couple plants!  Not fair!  I'm after the ants now.  (For the record, the slugs aren't off the hook.)

So, this is my call for help.  Anyone know of a trick to get rid of them that doesn't involve anything that wouldn't be good for the plants or people who'll be eating them?

On a happy note, I did notice a bumblebee flying around today.  I was worried that the blossoms that have appeared thus far (blueberries, raspberries, and zucchini) wouldn't get pollinated.  Go, little bee, go!  Hopefully he has friends helping him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment