Sunday, February 21, 2010

Backyard Back in Business!

On this gorgeous sunny day, my lovely husband spent the whole day in the backyard shaping a pathway and garden beds. He's fabulous! Now instead of lumpy grass surrounding our garden beds, we have nice flat gravel that will not need weeding or mowing. And it does make for a nice casual garden space. We have two new beds now for plants or veggies. It'll take some time, I think, before we figure out what we'll plant. It is, after all, only February.

Some of the seeds that I started indoors are already going crazy since we've had so much sun. I'm tempted to just plunk them in the garden a bit early and see what happens. Worst case is they don't make it, right? (And I'm talking peas and broccoli, so they are supposed to be more cold weather I believe. Ok, and maybe a few beans.) When I was starting the little seed beds for our windowsill, Gavin was helping me. He found some corn and bean seeds left over from the summer and wanted to plant them. So I said, "Sure, plant them in this pot." I was planting a few other seeds in the pot and didn't think that his seeds would germinate. But they did! And they're growing fast. So we'll see if I can keep those alive till it's warm enough to plant them. (Trouble is we don't have a great place for light, but we'll see.)

Overall point, we are excited to be working in the yard again! Though this winter was strange and not very wintery, I think most people around here will be glad when it's over and we can plant again! I even already have one little red tulip blooming in the front yard, and crocuses, and hyacinth! Crazy early, but very pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment