Friday, October 9, 2009

Halloween Pumpkin Prep

We went to the farm yesterday to pick out pumpkins. I have to stuff Graeme in the backpack so I can chase Gavin around. He loves to be chased, which can be challenging at times. He usually wants to run all the way to the back of the farm to visit the tractor, but somehow I was able to persuade him otherwise. Graeme isn't fond of being captive in the pack, but since he can't walk yet and tries to eat everything on the ground, he has no choice. Incentive to learn to walk.

This year, maybe because Gavin is old enough to understand Halloween or that we have an October birthday to celebrate now, I've been trying to get more creative with decorations for Fall and Halloween. (Which is to say that I'm decorating at all, since I usually don't.) The South 47 Farm that we go to has a bunch of different kinds of pumpkins. If you were crafty, you could channel Martha Stewart and have very cool decorations. I resisted the urge to buy one of everything or more. And, really, I'm only aspiring to be one of Martha's interns. (Although, they probably do much of the creative work anyway.)

In any case, my efforts in budget decorations have yielded these results: 1) corn stalks from our corn in the front yard, with dried sunflower heads for the birds (will they actually eat them??), 2) "spooky" pictures from the Civil War era pasted over our family pictures, 3) pine cones in vases, 4) our one little pumpkin that we grew here, and 5) tissue paper ghosts that Gavin helped me make.

My only regret with the farm experience was that I didn't bring my camera. So, since we have grandparents coming down today, I'm hoping to recreate the experience and get some pictures with the boys. I doubt I would have been able to orchestrate a photo shoot with two free range toddlers anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment