Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chicken and bean, beans

Is it bad to be upset with myself that I only scored 5 of 11 on an internet quiz? I really need to study more. (Subject was housewares designed by fashion designers. Very important stuff.)

Today we had the last of the frozen green beans from our garden. They lasted for quite a while, and we do have some pickles left, but it gave me license to start looking at seeds for this Spring. I have a wishlist starting. The big question is how much can I start early indoors? I was surprised that the stuff I started indoors last year actually lasted, but as inexperience would have it, I didn't start them soon enough for them to produce much. I will be more organized this year. I hope.

Anyway, it was cute at dinner because Graeme LOVES green beans! He says, "Bean, beans." Then I say, "Can you say please?" And he goes, "Peees!" with a big smile. Melt my heart. And for vegetables! That I grew!

And I made chicken that, in my opinion, is THE Best! Craig is running upstairs to get the cookbook so I can post the recipe. Well, and getting a little more wine to go with American Idol. And, we might as well lay it all out there, I'm eating chocolate too. A very indulgent evening and you're getting it all first hand as it happens. Like CNN.

Ok, the recipe for the chicken comes from this cookbook (thank you, Helen): Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker, Recipes for Entertaining by Hensperger & Kaufmann. I've made a lot of them just for us, though, not for parties. (Who has parties once you have children? Aside from birthday parties... and the ribs I made then were from this cookbook too.)

Now, really. Totally easy, slow cooker. Virtually no work, except that you have to get a bit cozy with a whole, raw chicken, which I've gotten over.

Spicy Turmeric Chicken
Best in oval slow cooker.

Turmeric Marinade:
1 Tbs. ground cumin
1 Tbs. paprika (I've used smoked paprika too and it's still good)
1 Tbs. ground turmeric
1 1/2 tsp. red chile powder or cayenne (do red chile, not too spicy for kids, cayenne would be)
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt
2-3 cloves garlic, mashed
6 Tbs. fresh lemon juice

One whole chicken, 4-5 pounder.

Coat the crock with nonstick spray.
Combine all ingredients for marinade. Rub over and inside a washed/dried chicken (any nasty bits cut off). Plunk into slow cooker with no liquid or anything. 4-5 hours on HIGH or 7-9 hours on LOW. (I did once on high and once on low. High better.)

That's it. Turmeric does stain, so keep that in mind for dishes (use glass/stainless) and wash hands right after or wear gloves. I just washed my hands and it didn't stain. Does stain plastic cutting boards though and light crocks.

SO yummy. Even Graeme ate it and he's picky with meat. Yum, yum, yum. Then there's usually leftovers for tacos or something. Mmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment